The Regina Public Interest Research Group (RPIRG) is a student-run, student-funded non-profit organization dedicated to community-based research, education, action and awareness in the public interest. RPIRG exists to provide its members with the resources to be active citizens on the University of Regina campus and in the greater community. RPIRG has been in operation since 2007.
The ideal candidate would have ties to Regina’s activist community and experience working with non-profits. The Executive Director will work with a volunteer Board of Directors, and is accountable to them. Together they will establish and update the policies and direction of the organization on an ongoing basis. This will require an understanding of governance and campus life, and the flexibility to work with university students.
The successful candidate will have experience with the following:
- Acting in a leadership role by providing organizational and board support to the volunteer student Board of Directors.
- Facilitating regular board meetings and committee meetings, and participating fully in the consensus decision making process.
- Managing day-to-day operations of the organization, including financial management and compliance with the Non-Profit Corporations Act.
- Human Resources duties, including hiring, training, supervising and evaluating staff.
- Working with board and staff to allocate funds for student-led Working Groups and projects or events.
- Acting as an ambassador for RPIRG, assuming an active role in RPIRG, campus, and community events, and coordinating board-run events such as an annual summer camp, workshops, and conferences.
- Maintaining and strengthening relationships with all on-campus groups.
- Participating in the public relations, outreach, and communication roles for the whole organization, including updating web content, being present at funded events, and working with the media.
- Fostering student activism!
Qualified candidates will also possess the following:
- A combination of appropriate education and applicable experience.
- Self-motivation with the ability to work without supervision.
- Ability to work as a team member and to foster participation.
- Excellent oral and written skills.
- Computer skills (website management, Microsoft programs).
This position is permanent at 30-35 hours per week (negotiable). The salary range is $31,00-$38,000 per year based on qualifications and is accompanied by a benefits package.
Applications should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and a cover letter outlining the applicant’s interest and qualifications for the position. Deadline for applications is Friday, May 16, 2014 at 5 p.m. The preferred start date is June 2, 2014, but this is negotiable.