Are you looking for an awesome “outdoorsy” summer job?? Look no further!!!
Job Description: Green Patch Coordinator
The RPIRG Green Patch is a 5400 sq ft vegetable garden behind the Dr. John Archer Library at the U of R. It’s a source of sustainable, locally grown organic food – part of a campus movement for community engagement and sustainable development.
The Green Patch is run by the Regina Public Interest Research Group (RPIRG), a student-run, student-funded non-profit organization dedicated to community-based research, education, action and awareness in the public interest. RPIRG exists to provide its members with the resources to be active citizens on the University of Regina campus and in the greater community. RPIRG has been in operation since 2007.
In partnership with Wascana Centre Authority, Facilities Management at the U of R, the Institute francais, and First Nations University of Canada, we are seeking a knowledgeable and self-motivated student to supervise and coordinate the fourth season of the RPIRG Green Patch.
**This position is only being offered to students at the University of Regina**
- Planning garden plot contents and leading spring planting.
- Recruiting and managing volunteers for garden planting, maintenance, and harvesting.
- Ensuring the general maintenance of the garden, including following-up with volunteer work.
- Supervising harvests, and coordinating distribution between volunteers and community partners.
- Participating in steering committee meetings, as well as providing all relevant information to the steering committee, including bi-monthly activity reports.
- Establishing contacts and maintaining communication with students, campus groups, U of R faculty, and community groups for the purpose of outreach and community awareness of the garden.
- Developing and coordinating workshops and lessons on a variety of garden-related topics for university and community members, U of R classes, and campus organizations
- Producing a post-harvest report with a summary of activities and recommendations for future years of the project.
- Planting seasons and ideal growing conditions for various plants and vegetables in Saskatchewan
- Organic garden upkeep and maintenance, including watering, weeding, pest management, etc.
- Volunteer management, recruitment, and retention
- Interest in, and willingness to work in a leadership role with student and community volunteers
- Experience planting and harvesting a variety of plants and vegetables
- Self-motivated, ability to work without supervision, while taking directions from a committee
- Computer skills (internet, word processing, spreadsheets)
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and willingness to raise awareness about the garden in various capacities
Contract Period: May 4, 2015 – October 2, 2015
Hours of Work: 30 hours per week. Hours are flexible.
Application Deadline: April 13th, 2015 at 4pm. Applications can be emailed to email@example.com
For more information, please visit: http://rpirg.org/events-projects-paren/rpirg-green-patch/