Job Description: Outreach & Events Coordinator
Regina Public Interest Research Group
The Regina Public Interest Research Group (RPIRG) is a student-run, student-funded non-profit organization dedicated to community-based research, education, action and awareness on social and environmental justice issues. RPIRG exists to provide its members with the resources to be active citizens on the University of Regina campus and in the greater community. RPIRG has been in operation since 2007. For more information, visit our website: www.rpirg.org.
The Outreach and Events Coordinator is responsible for managing event coordination, marketing, and community outreach for the organization. They will work alongside the Executive Director, and under the direction of the Board of Directors.
**This position is only being offered ONLY to students at the University of Regina**
- Event coordination: Organize, plan, promote, recruit and carry out all aspects of RPIRG’s events, including Welcome Week, Annual General Meetings, elections, conferences, camps and campaigns.
- Marketing to raise awareness of RPIRG student opportunities and events, including producing a monthly newsletter, ensuring board and staff attendance at funded events, and creating and ordering PR materials. Managing RPIRG’s online presence including updating the website and managing all social media accounts such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Community relations/networking: Establish contacts and maintain communication with students, campus groups, U of R faculty, and community groups for the purpose of outreach and community awareness on issues of social and environmental justice
- Participate in regular board meetings and committee meetings, by observing the consensus decision making process, providing all relevant information to the board, including activity reports, and following up with board and staff to ensure the timely completion of tasks.
- Facilitating, ordering, and organization of the alternative library resources.
- Volunteer coordination: recruitment, retention and management of the organization’s volunteers.
- Social and environmental justice issues relevant to students and/or the community of Regina
- Event coordinating, management, and promotion
- Volunteer management, recruitment and retention (an asset)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated with an ability to work without supervision, but also ability to take direction from a board and Executive Director
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Computer skills (internet, word processing, spreadsheets, graphic design, website editing, newsletters, social media)
- Interest in and willingness to work in a leadership role with student volunteers, using a consensus decision-making process
- Multi-tasking and time management
- Flexibility – some job/task sharing
- Comfortable with public speaking (an asset)
- Understanding of non-profit governance structures (an asset)
Contract Period: October 30, 2017 (pending availability)- April 27, 2018, with possibility for renewal.
Hours of Work: 20-25 hours per week, decided upon at the start of each semester. Hours are flexible, but must be worked in the RPIRG office during office hours (except when there are events or meetings outside of these times or location)
Remuneration: Living wage ($16.46/hour), paid vacation and personal days, travel allowance
Reports to: Reports to and accepts direction from the Board of Directors and the Executive Director
Application Deadline: October 18, 2017 at 4pm.
To Apply: Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org